Monday, December 8, 2008

November to February: Not Quite Volleyball, Not Quite Softball

It is a unique situation, being a dual athlete. When I initially signed, I was not primed for the amount of time I would be dedicating to volleyball and softball or the amount of time I would need switching from one season to the other. There are a few similarities and differences that have come with this transition:

· The teams are so different. With volleyball, I become exceptionally close with my teammates, especially with underclassmen, which could be attributed to those two weeks before season, known as death, or more formally, preseason. This condensed preseason is probably the chief variation between volleyball and softball. In softball I come in November, leave for December and return for 4 and a half months. It’s a bit harder to connect with underclassmen who have had time to get to know other players and acclimate themselves to school. So one of the hardest things to do in transition is become a part of the team again.

· There is a bond between coaches and their players. This has been one thing that hasn’t changed in four years of playing. I know with Union volleyball coach Whitney Erb, she expected me to set an example; she knew it was a hard to get back into volleyball. So helping me set a goal and focusing on it put me right back into volleyball-mode. When I go back to softball I Union softball coach Bubba Szary expects me to come in ready to work. He has never told me I am behind but pushes me to keep up. He always offers me a break after volleyball and in four years I never took it once. I always felt it would only benefit me to start back sooner. My relations with my coaches are consistent and it makes switching teams much easier.

· Being in season, there is a sense of urgency to learn and apply skills. There isn’t much time to fuss and prepare for particular situations. Though being in season is more fun, it is simply because there is less time to be picky. More games simply mean less practice, and who doesn’t want that? Being out of season has its perks as well; as a softball player I learn the most in my off-season hit groups. Here is where coach can break down my swing technique and work on it step by step. This sort of detailed correction doesn’t exist in season; there are far too many other particulars to address.

It is a funny position I’m in when finishing up conference tournament in November. I want to win because I want my team to go to the NAIA nationals but also because I wasn’t looking forward to those softball conditioning days. Or when we lost, I was upset that it ended our season but also excited to start on my next season. The feeling is always bittersweet.

With this being my last “transition” from volleyball to softball it is nice to sit back and say that it has always been smooth, with the help of good teammates and cooperative coaches. I think this kind of consideration can only be found at a place like Union.

No comments: